Thursday, March 27, 2008

Frank Bidart

Been reading a collection of poems by Frank Bidart titled Stardust. As I read last night, my eyes fighting sleep, I realized that I rarely read poems because I am lazy. And poems are like puzzles, and you need to concentrate to do puzzles. Here are a few lines from one in the collection I particularly enjoyed deciphering called Advice to the Players:

"But being is making: not only large things, a family, a book, a business: but the shape we give this afternoon, a conversation between two friends, a meal."

I like this because it serves as a reminder that we don't have to create epic works of genius to be an acceptable human being. It sometimes can be enough to just breathe into the day, to make art from the moment, to walk in beauty on a dirty sidewalk.

Not really a poem, more like a collection of repetitions, a collection of thoughts about what it is to be a "maker."

No comments: